The blog covers the period from December 17, 2005 - April 30, 2010. The information in this blog was brought over from my handwritten notes, various documents, and email accounts which transpired during this period.



Friday, October 1, 2010

August - September 2007

August 2, 2007

Dawn Bechtold tried to warn Bayer Pharmaceutical Company that it would be a terrible mistake to send the macaques to the WAO.  This is where they have been living since they arrived at the WAO last year and the start of this year, and no doubt  will continue to do so for many more years to come.  Today must have been a photo opportunity day as the cage floors were cleaned and a few monkeys were holding bananas.







August 15, 2007
From: Kristina Brunner
To: "Robert.M.Gibbens@usda.gov"
Sent: Wed, August 15, 2007 10:53:02 AM

Subject: Re: Fw: Additional Information Pertaining to the Wild Animal Orphanage

Thank you very much - unannounced inspections does ease my mind.  I pray this year the animals will receive heat at Talley Road.  The WAO reported in the 2006 financial report the animals at Leslie Road were donated heaters, but there was no mention about the Talley Road animals.  Also, the WAO reported building two new enclosures for primates, and enclosure for a lemur, and one 1-acre enclosure for the lions.  I pray the primates moved from Leslie Road are finally in larger cages and not warehoused in the large storage building.  I noticed the tigers still living in quarantine cages for the last several years did not receive new enclosures.  I am concerned about there long-term well-being, living in these quarantine cages.

During one of the unannounced visits, could someone check on Jake (white crowned mangabey) and Sabu (lion)?  I probably sound like a broken record, checking on their health and well-being; both these animals mean a lot to me and I worry about them constantly.

Thank you again!

Kindest Regards,

Kristina

 "Robert.M.Gibbens@usda.gov" <Robert.M.Gibbens@usda.gov> wrote:

We will continue to conduct unannounced inspections.  If we are refused access, that would be considered a grave violation of the AWA and the Agency would pursue additional and more severe sanctions.

Robert M. Gibbens, DVM
Director, Western Region
USDA, APHIS, Animal Care
2150 Centre Ave., Bldg B
Ft. Collins, CO 80526
(970)494-7478

From: Kristina Brunner
To: Robert.M.Gibbens@usda.gov
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 8:34 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Additional Information Pertaining to the Wild Animal Orphanage

Thank you very much for responding so quickly, Dr. Gibbens.  I am surprised that the WAO decided to go this route, in light the WAO is no longer using the services of Mr. Aleshire (WAO attorney).  In the meantime, what type of protection will the animals have during this year (or so) period.  While I certainly understand the legal procedure/process, my main concern has always been for the animals, now more than ever. It's been getting rather hot here in San Antonio, and this is typically when animals starting "moving around" and I want to make sure no more animals disappear during the time the WAO is under investigation.  Is there anything your Office can do to protect the animals at both Talley and Leslie Road in the interim? 

I truly appreciate all your assistance in this matter, especially on behalf of the animals -

Kindest Regards,

Kristina Brunner

"Robert.M.Gibbens@usda.gov" <Robert.M.Gibbens@usda.gov> wrote:

Yes, we received the additional information.  Thank you.  It appears at this time that WAO is not going to pay the proposed civil penalty (fine).  In that situation, the case will be forwarded to the Department's attorneys in the Office of General Counsel for formal prosecution via an administrative law hearing.  Pursuing a case through the formal prosecution route typically takes a year or more.  

Robert M. Gibbens, DVM
Director, Western Region
USDA, APHIS, Animal Care
2150 Centre Ave., Bldg B
Ft. Collins, CO 80526
(970)494-7478

@inter2@gw

08/14/2007 05:54 PM

To
Robert M Gibbens/CO/APHIS/USDA@USDA
cc
Subject
Fw: Additional Information Pertaining to the Wild Animal Orphanage
 
I just wanted to confirm your Office received the additional information pertaining to the Pahrump and Henderson animals.  Your Office should have received a document plus five e-mails containing attachments.  If you did not receive the e-mails, please let me know and I will resend the information.

It's been 16 months since my original complaint and I was wondering if the case is any closer to a resolution....   :-)

Kind Regards,

Kristina

August 16, 2007

Must stay on top of the OAG case -- at least the USDA is moving its case along.  I wonder why the OAG is not doing the same?

Oh, yippee...the documents were dumped into a file. 
From:  Christopher Krhovjak <Christopher.Krhovjak@oag.state.tx.us>
To: "Brunner, Kristina" <kbrunner@...>
Sent: Thu, August 16, 2007 11:13:11 AM
Subject: Re: Additional Information Pertaining to the Wild Animal Orphanage


Yes, we received all of your emails, and the information has been incorporated into the file.  Thanks.
Chris

>>> "Kristina Brunner" <kbrunner@...> 8/14/2007 6:50 PM >>>
 
Greetings Chris: 
I just wanted to confirm your Office received the additional information pertaining to the Pahrump and Henderson animals.  Your Office should have received a document plus five e-mails containing attachments.  If you did not receive the e-mails, please let me know and I will resend the information.
It's been 18 months since my original complaint and I was wondering if the case is any closer to a resolution....   :-) 
Kind Regards,
Kris  
From: Kristina Brunner <kbrunner@...>
To: Christopher Krhovjak <Christopher.Krhovjak@oag.state.tx.us>
Sent: Thu, August 16, 2007 11:23:12 AM
Subject: Re: Additional Information Pertaining to the Wild Animal Orphanage

Greetings Chris: 
I'm also working on the 2006 990 report - I noticed quite a few discrepancies again - should be sending it to your Office by next week -
Kris

This is why I have no problem partnering with Rexano.org (see email below).  The bottom line is protecting and defending the animals currently living at the WAO and to ensure no other animal is placed at this facility until such time there is a change in management and funds are available to care for the animals living at the WAO.  Zuzanna is right -- this is the right thing to do! 

Sadly, the animal rights community felt it was best to just sit on the sidelines and watch -- I call this the "do-nothing" crowd.  I am so grateful there are animal welfare groups out there willing to take action and help me protect the animals.  Thank you, Zuzanna!

 
From: Z
To: Kristina Brunner; DRC…@....
Sent: Mon, August 20, 2007 2:13:53 PM
Subject: Rexano, WAO

Hi Kristine,

Dawn (included on this email) just realized that I support (responsible) private exotic animal ownership, and asked me to remove link to her site from Rexano, which I did. 
I just want to assure both of you I have no hard feelings, I can separate personal and professional issues, and will do and continue with my help to expose WAO, because it is the right thing to do for both, public and animals, for animal welfare and for public not giving that horrible place money which is not going toward animal care but rather for her personal enrichment.  WAO did lots of wrongs and situation needs to be fixed.  Z


August 22, 2007


I learned from a recent newsletter that Carol Asvestas is using the WAO vehicles and paying a driver (from WAO funds) to haul animals across state lines.  Time to verify.
----- Original Message -----
From: Dir Animal Care Services
To: 'Kristina Brunner'
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2007 11:46 AM
Subject: RE: Hurricane Katrina Rescued Animals

Hi Kristina - I just spoke with our representative from the ASPCA.  He has not heard of the group you mentioned.  Ellen

-----Original Message-----
From: Kristina Brunner
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:35 PM
To: Dir Animal Care Services
Subject: Re: Hurricane Katrina Rescued Animals
Thank you, Ellen!

Kristina

----- Original Message -----
To: 'Kristina Brunner'
Cc: 'Tara High'
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2007 9:45 AM
Subject: RE: Hurricane Katrina Rescued Animals

Hi Kristina - I am not aware of this organization, but I will inquire further and let you know.  Ellen. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Kristina Brunner
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 1:12 PM
To: Dir Animal Care Services
Subject: RE: Hurricane Katrina Rescued Animals
Greetings Ellen:

Thank you so much for responding so quickly!  I think it's wonderful your facility started the "Love Train!"  Thank you for saving lives!!!

My friend received the newsletter from a shelter in San Antonio, Texas.  This shelter claims to be working with SMSH, moving large number of Hurricane Katrina animals to other states approximately every two weeks. 

Due to the relocation of the animals, the shelter says it is in desperate need of donations to offset the expenses inccurred to repair/replace animal transporters and to purchase air conditioning and heating units. The shelter is called "ASUS/WAO" and it claims SMSH only pays for fuel and worker's expense to move the hurricane animals -  does this sound true to you? 

Again, thanks for responding so quickly and I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kindest Regards,

Kristina

Dir Animal Care Services <operations@hssm.org> wrote:

Hello Kristina: 

Excellent question, I appreciate the inquiry.  If the newsletter you received was from the Humane Society of South Mississippi, that information is somewhat correct.  Due to serious pet overpopulation here in our community, the Humane Society of South Mississippi transfers adoptable dogs to other groups across the United States almost every week!   The program is called the "Love Train" and I am very proud of it's accomplishments.  I have attached more information on the Humane Society and our "Love Train" efforts for you. 

If you are interested in learning more about the Humane Society or becoming involved with our "Love Train" efforts, please give me a call.  I'm happy to give you a tour of the shelter and explain our programs, services and our relationship with the well known ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). 

Thank you for caring about the animals.  Working together, we will continue to widen the circle of compassion for all living creatures. 

Warm Regards,

Ellen Taylor, CPDT
Director of Animal Care Service
Humane Society of South Mississippi
228.863.4394 extension 120

-----Original Message-----
From: Kristina Brunner
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 12:11 PM
To: operations@hssm.org
Subject: Hurricane Katrina Rescued Animals
Dear Ms. Ellen Taylor:

I hope you can direct my inquiry to the correct person regarding this issue, for I wasn't sure whom I should contact:

A friend of mine recently received a newsletter from an animal shelter soliciting funds for Hurricane Katrina animal rescue efforts.  In the newsletter, the shelter claimed to be still transporting large groups of cats and dogs from the South Mississippi Humane Society to Ohio and California - approximately every two weeks and planned to continue to do so for as long as SMHS needs their services.

In light of all the Hurricane Katrina animal rescue scandals reported in the news, my friend was wondering if the above statement was true, before she sent in her donation.

Can you verify the validity of the claim?  Your assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Kristina Brunner


Oh, and the board had another meeting this year!

Asus Wao Board Meeting Minutes - 082706

You gotta love it!  Michelle Cryer made a motion to give Ron and Carol two thumbs up for their skills in improving the WAO property!  How would she know if the property improved?  Has she even been to the Talley Road property thus far?  Was she a regular visitor of both properties over the years?  According to the animal caretakers, the answer to that question would be "no."

Nothing like voting two new board members that were Carol's close personal friends.  I heard Chris Morton was almost like "family" (on Carol's side).  I guess no one else can be trusted to learn the facts about the organization. 

Don't you just love how Carol "informs" the board of major purchases and animal programs, especially when the organization is under investigation and one of the allegations is that Carol runs the entire operation without board input or approval?


From: Kristina Brunner
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:51 PM
To: Gamez Jason P
Subject: Re: Question

Greetings Special Agent Gamez:

I hope you remember me - I came to see you last year regarding alleged misappropriation of funds perpetrated by the Wild Animal Orphanage.  As you may recall, I ended up filing a complaint with the Texas Office of Attorney General and the USDA/APHIS.

According to inside information, the OAG substantiated most of my allegations regarding the misuse of donated public funds and the USDA/APHIS plans to take the WAO to court as the result of their findings.  The Texas Commission of Environmental Quality also opened a case against the WAO due to the large number of animals buried at the WAO's Talley Road facility (flood zone) without authorization and it is still on-going.

I have a question pertaining to filing taxes with the IRS.  The WAO reported on their 2006 990, that the Asvestas' earned in excess of $50,000 each.  I have reason to believe the Asvestas' filed a much lower earning amount with the Texas Workforce Commission.  Is the amount reported to the TWC normally the same amount reported to the IRS?  I believe Ms. Asvestas filed with the TWC for the first time in years (if ever) and I was wondering if reporting correct wages earned, to the TWC, was mandated by law?

In the course of this investigation, I have learned a lot about misappropriate of charitable funds and animal welfare laws, but I do not know much about IRS and TWC filings - any information, on a general level, since I know you cannot release pertinent information to me, would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Kristina Brunner

On August 29, 2007 Jason P Gamez wrote:

Hey Kristina,

I am glad to hear some action is being taken on the Avestas.  You have worked very hard and I known the OAF and USDA/APHIS appreciate your efforts. 

To answer your question, usually Form W-2 income and earnings per TWC will match.  TWC income is displayed in quarters of the year, but the aggregate total should equal the W-2 income reported by the Avestas' on their tax return.  Usually cases will work don't involve W-2 income because it is easy to trace via TWC or an employer's 941 tax return.  
Income earned for an individual from a Form 1099 Misc Income, a sole proprietor, S Corporation will not be displayed on TWC records. 

Since the nonprofit tax return is public record, I would believe the Avestas' would file the same amount to TWC that is being displayed on the 990, but it wouldn't hurt to check.  I not sure about the penalties for not filing with TWC.  

I hope I was able to help.  Feel free to ask me any other questions you might have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment