The blog covers the period from December 17, 2005 - April 30, 2010. The information in this blog was brought over from my handwritten notes, various documents, and email accounts which transpired during this period.



Friday, October 1, 2010

September 2006 - October 2006 Notes

September 20, 2006

From: Kristina Brunner
To: Robert.M.Gibbens@usda.gov; Chris Krhovjak <christopher.krhovjak@oag.state.tx.us>; mstory@tceq.state.tx.us
Cc: debbie.stubbs@oag.state.tx.us
Sent: Wed, September 20, 2006 12:35:35 PM
Subject: Wild Animal Orphanage

Dear Dr. Gibbens and Investigator Krhovjak:

The following information pertains to the on-going case regarding the Animal Sanctuary of the United States, d/ba “The Wild Animal Orphanage.”

First, I reviewed the "Assumed Name Certificates" on the Bexar County website and discovered most d/b/a’s pertaining to the San Antonio Wildlife Emergency Center, Inc were, in part, obtained by individuals no longer associated with the ASUS or WAO:

Animal Crisis Team d/b/a was obtained by Raymond M. Hernandez on June 17, 2002.  (Mr. Hernandez was convicted of possession of a controlled substance and served time in prison.  I believe Mr. Hernandez may have performed his community service restitution work at the WAO.)  Mr. Hernandez is listed on the certificate as a member of the Animal Sanctuary of the United States

The Wildlife Care Center d/b/a was obtained by Joe Fury on July 26, 2001.   (Mr. Fury is a former WAO employee and whistleblower. A long-time WAO former board advisor, Linda Howard, indicated to me Joe Fury has active warrants for his arrest in California for failue to pay child support - I have not been able to confirm this information with California authorities.  Ms. Howard also told me Mr. Fury performed community service restitution work at the WAO).  Mr. Fury is listed as a member of the San Antonio Wildlife Emergency Center, Inc.

Feral Cat Rehab Center d/b/a was obtained by Joe Fury on July 26, 2001.  Mr. Fury is listed as a representative of the San Antonio Wildlife Emergency Center, Inc.

Chimp - AID d/b/a was obtained by Joe Fury on July 26, 2001.  Again, Mr. Fury is listed as a representative of the San Antonio Wildlife Emergency Center, Inc.

Animal Sanctuary of the United States (ASUS) d/b/a was obtained by Elizabeth C. Lange on February 26, 2001.  Betty Lange used to be the WAO Secretary in the late 1990's.  I learned from the former long-time WAO Board Advisor, Ms. Linda Howard, Ms. Lange left the WAO several years ago because she did not agree with Ms. Asvestas business practices.

Cat Haven Sanctuary d/b/a was obtained by Ms. Carol Asvestas on November 6, 1996.  According to my research, this is the only active ASUS d/b/a Ms. Asvestas obtained from the Bexar County Courthouse.

I have no idea why Ms. Asvestas only obtained one d/b/a personally and had the rest obtained by individuals no longer associated with the ASUS or the WAO. 

Second, and most importantly, I am in possession of a document titled “Additions and Losses (Talley)” prepared on September 18, 2006.  I am unable to determine whether or not this document is authentic.  However, based on the timeframes where additions, losses, or transfers took place, I am able to verify certain acquisitions, losses, and transfers (between Leslie Road and Talley Road facilities), did indeed take place.
This report confirmed my belief there is a lack of medical care (animals allowed to suffer from illness or injury without treatment), animal escapes (two wolves shot this year after an escape), lack of personnel to care for the animals (water supply lines {"lixits"} not checked daily resulting in animal deaths), animals are placed with other dangerous animals (i.e. high number of wolves’ deaths); high number of tiger euthanasias; and the animal care technicians are practicing veterinarian medicine without a license at the Talley Road facility.  It also confirms animals are being moved back and forth between the Talley and Leslie Road facilities.
Assuming this report is correct, the non-human primates are breeding at the Talley Road facility.  I also noticed that either Mary or Michelle Reininger (presumed authors of this document) failed to include the additional tiger births that took place in early 2004.  Ms. Asvestas and Dr. Lambert reported to the media on December 24, 2003 (film crew covered the recent birth of 3 baby tigers), that two  tigers acquired from New Jersey (3 tigers total arrived pregnant) were due to deliver tiger cubs in the early part of 2004. 
Understandably, I am concerned with the high number of macaques’ deaths at the Talley Road facility – especially since there appears to be a lack of evidence indicating that the animals’ bodies were properly examined and disposed of according to Bio-safety Level II provisions as stated on the ASUS – Primate Sanctuary of the United States’ website:

Primate Deaths:
All dead animals will be double bagged and placed in an independent freezer until a necropsy is performed on-site. BFI will remove the cadaver for incineration.
Finally, I am also very concerned about the White Crowned Managbey (Jake) and the surviving long-tailed macaques living in temporary cages at the Talley Road facility, with winter fast approaching.   I have learned the Talley Road facility is expecting another shipment of monkeys sometime next week and these non-human primates will live in small metal cages throughout the winter months.  It is my opinion that an immediate intervention is required to prevent the deaths of these and other animals residing at this facility. 

Ms. Story:  Please update the list I provided you earlier (certification of the missing or dead animals)  to include the additional "loss" animals from the Talley Road facility.  I have reason to believe the "loss" animals are also buried at Talley Road.  Thank you.
Please do not hesitate to contact me regarding this information.  I can be contacted at (210) 647-1789.  Your continued assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Very Respectfully,
Kristina M. Brunner

Note:  Please excuse the quality of the attached report - this is how I received it - it looks like one page was cut-off on the left margin. 

Talley Road Additions/Losses (Septmeber 18, 2006)





September 22, 2006

I received an email from the former employee of the Austin Zoo.  She remembers the leopard, Kirra, from Pahrump, Nevada.  

TCEQ - Investigation Report






September 25, 2006

I learned the WAO received a subpoena dated September 6, 2006 from the USDA.  The WAO supposedly asked for a response extension and it was granted for September 27, 2006. 

Dawn called me and I let her know about the monkeys coming to the WAO from California.  I learned the monkeys are supposed to go to Talley Road to live.  Also I told her about a rumor I heard about an injured tiger named Madhya.  Apparently she has a puncture wounds on her backside along the spine.  The wound appears to be infected as green pus is oozing out of the deep wounds.  Is Madhya one of the Tops tigers (NJ)?  I think this tiger is about 6-7 years of age.  Dawn said she would contact Dr. Pannill regarding the injured tiger and the incoming monkeys from California.

September 26, 2006

Confirmation that the California monkeys are at the WAO:
From: "Norma" <nlagutchik@...>
To: "Cynthia Rum" <
cynthia.rum@...>
Subject: Re: Tiger Pictures
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:07:08 -0500

Cynthia,
     Yes, I was on another trip to pick up research monkeys from California for retirment at our facility. Medusa passed away about two years ago of renal failure. This is very common because these cats are not only mix breed but also inbreed. It has been a very busy year and shows no sign of slowing down. I just try to keep up as best I can.

Sincerely,
Norma Lagutchik


Original Message -----
From: "Cynthia Rum"
To: <nlagutchik@...>
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2006 10:29 PM
Subject: Re: Tiger Pictures

Dear Miss Norma,

Since you did not respond to my last inquiry, I assumed you were busy delivering more dogs.  I hope you and the animals weathered the storm well.
You still have me curious - how did Medusa pass away?  Have you lost many  tigers?  I imagine you must have your hands full taking care of all the
animals!

I look forward to your reply,
Cynthia Rum
I sent this email to the USDA regarding Loki – a missing Leslie Road tiger:

From: Kristina Brunner
To: Elizabeth Pannill <elizabeth.pannill@aphis.usda.net>; Robert.M.Gibbens@usda.gov
Sent: Tue, September 26, 2006 9:35:02 PM
Subject: Wild Animal Orphanage - Tiger Death and California Non-human primates


Dear Dr. Gibbens and Dr. Pannill:

I became concerned when I learned the WAO staff introduced a tiger to an existing group consisting of three tigers this summer (2006).  The original group consisted of Apollo, Melia, and Athena.  When I heard a forth tiger was added, but the names of the tigers were not given out on tour, I contacted the WAO under the name "Cynthia Rum" to ascertain where the fourth tiger came from.  Before you read the e-mails (copied and pasted below), I have provided some history pertaining to the referenced tigers:

Here is what happened during the Spring/Summer of 2004:

From February - July 2004 I worked for SeaWorld (Loss Prevention Investigator) on the weekends, so I was unable to care for the animals' water bowls until July 25, 2004.  Before I started my part-time job, Medusa was living with three other tigers (Apollo, Melia and Athena).  She was alive and very healthy when I left, but upon my return I was told she had been euthanized.  When I asked why, I was told by the animal care technicians she was euthanized because she was too aggressive.  I was shocked because I never saw aggressive behavior from Medusa.  I had seen aggressive behavior from Melia once in awhile, but that is to be expected from a tiger.  When I questioned the animal caretakers (Cindy Belia and Brandon Prill), I was told Medusa became too aggressive during feeding and was bending the enclosure walls.  I made the comment that the structure was bent before she arrived.  At that point, I was told it was Carol's decision to kill the tiger and they didn't necessarily agree with all her decisions.  There were two tigers living adjacent to the three surviving tigers - Loki and Dobbins.  Loki and Melia did not get along very well and would fight between the enclosure wall.  When I left the WAO on December 17, 2005, Loki and Dobbins were doing great in their enclosure.  I did not observe any health problems with either cats.  Now I have learned that Dobbins lives with Apollo, Athena, and Melia, and it appears Loki has disappeared or died. 

On the day I found out Medusa died, I also learned Milly had stopped eating because she did not like the hereford meat she was forced to eat.  Milly would eat any other meat - just not the hereford.  According to two animal care technicians, Ms. Asvestas knew that the tiger would not eat the hereford and refused to purchase any other meat for this tiger.  I was told that Ms. Asvestas told them that she either ate the hereford or she would die.  When I heard she had not eaten in several days, I immediately went to HEB (local grocery store) and purchase enough whole chickens to get her through the week until I could come up with a more viable plan to feed this tiger.  The animal care technicians promised to feed her the chicken each week and agreed not to tell Ms. Asvestas about the chicken intervention.   The staff, to include Norma Lagutchik, was trying to keep her alive by feeding her small donated meat from the general public.  On the day I bought the chicken, Milly ate two whole birds right away (HEB meat receipts are available).  I thought I caught the problem in time, but unfortunately, the tiger had gone without food for so long that she slowly stopped eating again two weeks later.  Ms. Asvestas, during this time, refused to call the veterinarian to help Milly and I learned the tiger died the following week. 

I called Mary and Michelle Reininger in December 2005 on their cell phone (they were on vacation - Arizona with their father if I recall correctly) and told them about what I observed within the last year.  I told them what happened to Milly and Medusa.  They were not surprised to hear what I told them regarding Medusa's death or Milly's treatment.  I learned from them that Milly used to eat hereford until she was served rotten green meat which made her very ill.  After that, Milly refused to eat hereford for several weeks.  Milly resumed eating the hereford until late summer of 2004, when Milly was served bad meat again. Ms. Asvestas told the staff, to include Mary and Michelle, that if any tiger refused to eat the meat provided, then that animal would have to be put down because Ms. Asvestas refused to buy "special" food for any big cat -- especially chicken since it was too expensive.

I learned from the animal care technicians that it was standard practice to tell any party inquiring on the status of a deceased tiger (or any other big cat) that it died from renal failure.  I was stunned when Ms. Lagutchik contradicted herself, in her own responses, regarding when Dobbins moved from his old enclosure to that shared with Melia, Apollo, and Athena.  First she agrees that there were only three tigers living in the enclosure last year, then she said Dobbins moved over to join the three tigers when Medusa died, which was two years ago.  Sadly, it does not explain what happened to Loki.  I am also concerned that with Norma  away from the WAO for long periods of time relocating dogs and monkeys, the animals are not receiving the proper care rrequired - it is my understanding there are only two animal caretakers caring for all the Leslie Road facility animals. 

I recently heard a rumor that the WAO was accepting another group of non-human primates which were to be stored at the Talley Road facility in small metal cages hidden near a shed.  Apparently, the monkeys are to live in these metal cages throughout the winter with only boards or something similar to block the cold wind.  This rumor seems to be true since Ms. Lagutchik confirmed that she arrived in San Antonio with monkeys from a California research facility.

I also learned the primates moved from the Leslie Road facility (August 2006) are still living in small transporters and will probably remain in these "cages" until sometime next year since there is no enclosure built to house these animals.

The WAO continues to receive animals from various sources which clearly they are not prepared to provide proper care, therefore, I am requesting an immediate stay on any additional animals to either the Leslie or Talley Road facility until the USDA investigation has completed its report.  Your assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.  Please do not hesitate to contact me at (210) 647-1789 regarding any questions you may have pertaining to this case.

Very Respectfully,

Kristina Brunner

September 29, 2006

I received some of the documents I requested from the USDA under FOIA.  I am still waiting for any investigative or citation reports.  After close examination of the photographs taken by the private investigator, I was able to see the license plate of Ron’s motorcycle.  Turns out, the motorcycle is in Melissa Asvestas’ name.  This confirms the information provided to me by the WAO staff and Linda Howard. The motorcycle was apparently bought in December 2005 for $16,000.  According to the 1st 2005 990, Ron Asvestas was given $15,000 “loan.”

September 30, 2006

More good news!  Princess is alive!  I received a package at my door containing medical information on Princess!  It looks like she is still living in the quarantine area.  Sadly, she has been living in quarantine for about 1 year and 7 months.  Poor tiger.  She needs to get out of the cold concrete cage and into a large natural enclosure.

I am so relieved she is still alive since Carol told Detective Blake from the Sheriff’s Office that she planned to kill her because she was too “old.”  Also, Carol apparently told the Board of Directors that Princess was a “recent” arrival, and because she was walking on her ankles, she would need to be “put down” (June 17, 2006 board minutes)

According to the medical report written up by Dr. Ehrlund, Princess is about 7 years old and can live a long natural life, if she’s living  in a naturalistic setting, receives a better diet and her medications for arthritis.  I have never heard of a tiger receive medication to control pain or arthritis at the WAO before – this includes Boris (Russian Brown Bear as he is in a lot of pain from his arthritis during the cold winter months).

I sent an email to John Burkett in order to obtain the names of the Tops and Mitchell’s Tigers.   Unfortunately, John responded saying he doesn’t know the names of the animals – darn!

I received today proof that the Talley Road gain/loss animal listing given to me was valid!  Turns out it was created by Mary and Michelle Reininger.  This report was apparently created per Carol Asvestas’ request.

October 2, 2006

I received a call from Dr. Pannill.  I missed her call so I called her right back.  She and I discussed the Madhya’s (3-legged tiger) injury and the California research monkeys at Talley Road.  Dr. Pannill told me that unless Carol Asvestas gives her permission to enter the Talley Road property, there is nothing she can do for these animals.  According to Dr. Pannill, Carol has shut her doors to the Talley Road property due to the investigation into the WAO.  Dr. Pannill stated Morris Smith is working hard to tie the two properties into one WAO licensed property.

Dr. Pannill and I also discussed the TCEQ investigation.  She already knew that a NOV was filed against the WAO.  I expressed my concern over how many animals I believe died between the Talley and Leslie Road properties.  Dr. Pannill told me she thought that Carol may be euthanizing animals with her vet’s full knowledge and approval.  I speculated that perhaps the vets gave her permission because the vests were too busy to come out and euthanize the WAO animals themselves. 

When I told her I spoke with Drs. Henry, Lambert, and Ehrlund I was told by all three vets that they had very little interaction with the staff or animals because they believed that Rachel (Gaza) Farvour was a “vet.”  Dr. Pannill sounded surprised to learn that Rachel was not the WAO’s vet but rather an animal caretaker. 

I told her about Norma killing Josh – Dr. Pannill said she remembered this Patas monkey—because he had a growth on his testicle and Carol did not want to pay for his vet bills.  Dr. Pannill asked me to forward Josh’s name along with other animals’ names I believed died at Leslie Road to her and Morris Smith (Smith currently has some of the animal records).

Dr. Pannill mentioned when she looked at the deceased animal records, she always found a death certificate from the vet.  She indicated that Morris may have to verify the letters for authenticity. 

(Present information – according to internal records, whenever an animal died, Carol Asvestas or one of the animal care staff would contacted Dr. Ehrlund to let her know the animal died and request a death certificate.  Rarely did a vet perform a necropsy on a WAO animal.  Most times, Carol would just tell the vet the cause of death (renal failure or old age), and the vet would create the death certificate based on what she was told by Carol Asvestas.)

I told Dr. Pannill that Dobbins was recently moved into an enclosure with Appollo, Athena, and Malea.  She was surprised because she thought Dobbins had died years ago.  I told her that Lokki was missing.  Dr. Pannill told me she thought Lokki had also died a long time ago.  We agreed that Carol had a tendency to change the names of the animals to make it difficult to track animals.  When I told her about what happened to the wolves, she sounded shocked.  I mentioned that Brandon Prill stated on a WAO tour video that Norma performs all the animal sedations.  Dr. Pannill tried making up excuses as to why she performed this service without a vet present, but conceded that a vet should be present in case the sedation goes awry.  We also discussed the number of baby non-human primates born at the WAO (both Leslie and Talley Road properties).  I reminded her on Norma’s “death page” in Norma’s writing an entry referencing the death of a baby vervet.  Dr. Pannill asked me if the male vervets were vasecetemized. 

Dr. Pannill mentioned she did check with primate experts and dog food is NOT good for monkeys as this food source has no nutritional value for primates.  Fruits and veggies are definitely needed at the WAO.

October 3 – 4, 2006

Maritza called me today to let me know WOAI wanted me to sit for an interview on October 10, 2006 at 2:00pm.

I called Mary Martinez to let her know that WOAI wanted her to sit for an interview too.

I asked Dr. Capaldo if she would be willing to speak with WOAI.  She suggested Lynn Cuny (since she was local) speak with media instead.  I called Maritza to see if she could speak with Lynn Cuny regarding the care of primates.

I sent the OAG proof Ron operates his motorcycle without a valid driver’s license. 

I learned the WAO did not contest the TCEQ write-ups.  The WAO has been given until October 18, 2006 to respond to the findings.

October 6, 2006

I spoke with Edmund Stone from IDA-Africa.  I requested his assistance as I need a primate expert to let me know if primates, living in Texas, require artificial heat during the cold winter months. I had hoped he could provide me a statement, but I don’t think one is forthcoming.

From:  Erin
To:  Kristina Brunner
Sent:  Fri, October 6, 2006 1:43:52 PM
Subject;  Re: Wild Animal Orphanage

Greetings,
I do have two pictures of Kirra that I have attached to this e-mail.  They are kind of far away so you may have to zoom in on them.  I tried it on my computer and they looked pretty good. 
I know Kirra came to the zoo in March of 2005.  In fact Mark (the man I received your contact information from) told me March 4th (my birthday) .  I'm pretty sure she died sometime in January of 2006.  I do not know the exact date.  I'm going to get in touch with a former co-worker from the zoo to confirm the month and possibly the day.I am willing to talk to whoever I need to and give formal statements to any agency that will take her death seriously and do something about it.  Let me know.  Thanks again for all your hard work and caring.              Erin

Kristina Brunner  wrote:
Greetings Erin:
Your information helps a lot.  It sounds like the jags came from a different source entirely, so I will not focus on them.  Kirra, on the other hand, is now the focus of my inquiry. 
Tomorrow I plan to draft a formal complaint to the USDA (Dr. Gibbens) regarding Kirra.  Trust me, they will listen to this case.  Since you already spoke to Dr. Pannill regarding Kirra, can I take this as you are still willing to give a formal statement to the USDA as to the origination, general health, and subsequent death of Kirra?
I should have asked earlier - how long after Kirra's arrival did she die?  Do you happen to remember the exact date of her death? 
I was able to confirm that the Mitchell's yellow-spotted leopard did come to Texas - but for some reason the former owner is hesitant to release her name.  I have someone working on the case and I hope she can also confirm that Kirra is indeed the same animal that used to live in Nevada but was moved to the Austin Zoo.
Again, I can't thank you enough for help all of us resolve this situation - I know this is a long shot, but did you happen to take any pictures of Kirra?  Is she on the Austin Zoo's web site? 
Many, many thanks!  k

Erin wrote:
Hello,
I have no doubt that Kirra came from a lady whose finger was bitten off, I'm almost positive she was from Nevada, and I do not recall the name of the town.  All I know is that Kirra's brother was the one who did it.  I am positive about that.  Kirra was a yellow spotted leopard.  The Austin zoo did receive two female jags (mother and daughter), but it was about 8-10 months later.  I believe they came from somewhere in Texas though.  They were confiscated by the state from a private owner who also had ocelots that were supposed to come with the jags, but I do not know what happened to them.  I know the private owner was not allowed to keep them, so they had to go somewhere.  Hope this helps.             Erin

Kristina Brunner wrote:
Dear Erin: 
I just learned the WAO may have received jaguars from Nevada.  Do you recall the Austin Zoo receiving any jaguars at the time the one leopard arrived?  Was Kirra a black spotted leopard or a yellow spotted leopard?  Do you have any doubt Kirra came from the same lady that had her thumb bitten off?  Pahrump, Nevada?? 
Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter. 
v/r
Kristina
October 8, 2006

With Dawn’s help, we held a three-way conference with Dr. Shirley McGreal.  Dr. McGreal told me that Linda Howard never said a negative word about the WAO and so she did not know about the WAO problems.  I responded by saying something like “that’s strange because Linda said she did speak with you.”  Anyway, Dr. McGreal said she never gave Carol Asvestas permission to put her name on the WAO’s Advisory Board (web page).  When I told her the good news that her name was removed recently due to the changes the WAO was making to its website, Dr. McGreal said “good.” 

I told Dr. McGreal the WAO monkeys were essentially eating dog food only, she said this was unacceptable.  Dr. McGreal described to me in detail what primates should be eating each day.  I told her the Talley Road facility only had two animal caretakers –this information shocked her because she has 3 ½ employees caring for 28 primates.  I told her about the WAO’s lack of vet care and what I personally saw on my last day. 

Dr. McGreal and I discussed Carol Asvestas’ background and how she lied to people about being a “registered nurse.”  We also talked about Linda Howard’s passing. 

At the conclusion of the conversation, Dr. McGreal indicated she upset about how the WAO was treating the primates and promised to discuss this issue further with me.

After Dr. McGreal hung up, I asked Dawn if I should send her pictures of the monkeys eating dog food and the picture of the dead capuchin.  Dawn said yes, I should send her the photos right away.  I’m hoping Dr. McGreal will be willing to make a statement regarding proper primate care so I can get the USDA to issue direction to the WAO to start providing heat to the primates during the cold winter months. 

Someone has got to help me get the USDA to see that the primates need heat during the cold Texas winter months or more monkeys will die again this year!

October 10, 2006

The WOAI interview was today!!  The entire interview process took place from 2:00 – 3:30pm. 

First, I picked-up Mary and we drove to the television station.  I think the interview went well with Tanji Patton.  I was interviewed first and then Mary was interviewed.  Mary did great – she has a great sense of humor when she is on camera!  I loved the last question to Mary “Why are you here today?”  And she replied “because she made me come here (pointing at me).”  Ha ha ha.

I spoke with Jeanette Ferro to let her know that WOAI  wants to cover the potbellied pigs story!

October 12, 2006

I called to OAG to see if the case was still active.  I guess it is still active.

October 13, 2006

Oh my goodness!  I just learned that Primarily Primates Inc. was taken over by the Texas Office of the Attorney General for misappropriation of funds and poor animal care.  This is huge news!  The Texas OAG received the PPI case in May 2006.  I sent my case in June 2006 to the OAG.  This gives me hope the OAG will take the WAO case seriously seeing how they just saved many of the PPI animals.  Now it’s the WAO’s animals’ turn!!

Wait a minute, now I understand why the OAG asked me a lot of questions about the WAO and PPI.  This is really good sign!

I spoke with Laurie from California today.  She wants to help the WAO animals!  Laurie has received past WAO newsletters, so she is willing to send me any newsletters that come to her.  Boy, am I glad she is helping me with this because Carol is sending the WAO newsletters to donors living outside San Antonio.

October 14, 2006

In the hopes I finding someone willing to give me a statement regarding primate care, specifically heat requirements, I sent an email to Great Ape Project.  So far, no response from Great Ape Project.   Why is it so hard to get help from primate people?  Doesn’t anyone want to help the WAO monkeys?

Dawn wants to take a more direct approach in saving the WAO primates before it gets cold again this year.  She wants to call Rachel Farvour and Terry Minchew by phone today.  This should be interesting.

October 15, 2006

Today was my meeting with USDA/APHIS investigator, Morris Smith.  Before I fogot, I immediately typed what what was discussed during my interview with the investigator.  I wanted to make sure I kept accurate notes for my notebook!   I believe I hit all the main points of our meeting.  Happy reading!




October 16, 2006

Laurie from California and I had a great conversation regarding the WAO.  She wants to help this case along, so she called Jonathan at HSUS Litigation Section, advising him of the WAO situation.  Laurie told me that he plans to call me today. 

I received a call from Jonathan at HSUS/Litigation Section.  I outlined the issues pertaining to the WAO and he asked me to keep him posted of any new developments.  No help from HSUS.

In the meantime while I was speaking with Jonathan, Laurie called the WAO regarding the hurricane cats.  She sent me this statement as to what transpired:


From:  Laurie
To:  Kristina Brunner
Sent:  Mon, October 16, 2006 4:29:03 PM
Subject:  WAO
Hi Kristina...FYI...phoned WAO after I talked to you. I was talking to someone then Carol came on the phone...not real warm and fuzzy. Anyway I asked how many animals and employees she had. First she said 800 animals, then said 600 and is getting 200 Katrina cats next week. She said she had 14 staff members, 8 which were caretakers. I asked her if I could contribute to her suppliers directly and she said something about that being difficult because it would be different bank accounts. I asked her to send me information on WAO so I will send it to you if you want. I found of interesting about the 200 Katrina cats she is supposedly getting... Let me know if there is anything I can do and how things are progressing...Laurie
Yikes!  More cats…I need to notify the USDA immediately.

October 17, 2006

I sent the OAG with a carbon copy to the USDA with information pertaining to the hurricane cats, July/August 2006 newsletters, WAO web page newsletter and employee criminal record information.    

Wanting to verify if Carol Asvestas was telling the truth about the expected 200 hurricane cats, I reached out to a friend who played a major role in rescuing hurricane cats.  My contact was unable to confirm the arrival of these cats, so she provided me with contact information:

I suspect that either ARNO or Southern Animal Foundation might have knowledge of the 200 cats.  Try contacting Robin or Cody.

Robin at ARNO  504-913-2328.  If you call her and there is no answer, you have to hang up and call back, then she will answer.

This is the number for Cody that works at SAF 504 430 4583

I spoke with Cody and she knew nothing about the shipment and since this was not her area she had no idea what I was talking about...

Robin, on the other hand, was most cooperative and friendly.  She is going to put out feelers to see if anyone knows about the 200 cats.    We exchanged e-mails, and so I am hoping she might find something out!

Robin gave me a lot of information pertaining to feral cats and I hope to learn more from her in the future!

I am beginning to think Carol lied to Laurie regarding the shipment of 200 cats bound for the WAO.

October 19, 2006

I received a call from Shari at KSAT-12.  She wants to know if I heard from Melissa Story at TCEQ – specifically about the animal burial pits.  No additional news to report at this time.

Mary called the WAO today and spoke with Kristy.  According to Kristy, there are only 20 hurricane cats at the WAO and that they were not expecting any more cats!

At the urging of Dawn, I conducted my own research into what is acceptable non-human primate food stuffs, since I am having a hard time getting this information from various primate groups.  I spent hours searching various primate websites to find out if anyone else uses dog food as their main food source for their monkeys.  Thus far, no one uses dog food as part of their primates’ diet.

I received some more anonymous information—this time pertaining to the WAO’s chimp houses.  Not sure if the information is true, but I believe it is important to pass this information on to the OAG. 

October 20, 2006

I find it interesting, that when you ask for just general information pertaining to animal care, the experts are more willing to share information with you!

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:08:54 -0400
To: Dawn
From: Shirley McGreal
Subject: Re: Is dog a food an adequate food source for primates?

Hello, Dawn, we have 28 primates (gibbons) and would not consider
feeding them dog chow. Our primates don't even get monkey chow. They
get greens/veggies for breakfast, fruits for lunch and bananas in
the evening. Here's a partial list of what we feed. I hope this
helps. They really enjoy the variety. Many came from labs where they
ate chow and in the first few days we would place some chow the lab
sent down with them in their food buckets, but they seldom ate a piece.

Gibbon Diet

Greens
Avocado
Bamboo shoots and leaves
Bok Choy
Broccoli
Broccoflower
Cabbage
Carrots
Cauliflower
Corn on cob
Crowder peas
Green peas
Cucumber
Eggplant
Green peas
Lettuces
Napa cabbage
Okra (only a few gibbons like this, especially Brownie)
Radish (only a few like them)
Snow peas
Sweet potatoes (a favorite when cooked)
Lettuces
Napa cabbage
Okra (only a few gibbons like this, especially Brownie)
Radish (only a few like them)
Snow peas
Sweet potatoes (a favorite when cooked)

They don't like mustard greens or collars)

Fruits
Apple
Apricots
Bananas
Blackberries
Blueberry
Cantaloupe
Charries
Clementine
Dates
Figs (very popular, home-grown)
Grapes
Honeydew
Kiwi
Mango (very popular especially the champagne mangoes)
Melons (all varieties, Juan Canary is a favorite)
Orange
Papaya (large and small varieties)
Peaches
Pear
Persimmon
Pineapple
Pomegranate
Plums
Raspberry
Strawberry
Tangerine
Water melon
(they don't like lemon, lime, or grapefruit)

Other

Carrots
Mushrooms
Onions
Peppers (all colors but prefer yellow and red)
Tomatoes

Occasional foods

Wheat bread
Raisin bread
Boiled egg

At 06:10 AM 10/20/2006, you wrote:
>Is dog food an adequate food source for primates?
>This is the sole food source for a group of primates in a U.S. sanctuary.
>
>
>Dawn
This is really great information!

October 21, 2006

I just found out that the WAO posted three “No Trespassing” signs along with a poster board stating that as of June 1, 2006, surveillance cameras were installed throughout the property.  According to the June 2006 Board Meeting Minutes, the WAO supposedly installed “fake” cameras on the Leslie Road property, which incidentally, no one could see!

More information to pass on to Shirley about the WAO non-human primates:
From: Kristina Brunner
To: DRCTBD@...
Sent: Sat, October 21, 2006 10:01:15 AM
Subject: Please pass to Shirley! k
 
Please pass to Shirley this statement Carol made in the Staff Meeting:  December 27, 2005 report: 
"#7.  No fruit for bears, monkeys, animals being fed Krispy Creme donuts.
Not true, bears are fed a mixture of fruit/vegetables, and/or dog food.  Yes, they had Krispy Creme donuts, ONE TIME as treats!  All agreed that we need to put into affect a written diet for primates.  Meat eaters have on."
My response to this:  There is no doubt the main diet of the bears is dog food.  We have pictures showing this.  According to Linda Howard, former WAO Board Advisory, she and another individual from Voice for Animals saw boxes and boxes of Crispy Creme doughnuts stored in the bread cooler last year.  Linda told me that when she asked why there were so many doughnut boxes in the cooler, Carol told her that the Crispy Creme doughnut deliverer needed some place to get rid of the doughnuts at the end of his route, so she thought this would be a good food source for the monkeys and bears.  Keep in mind, these were expired doughnuts which were not sold by the local gas stations/Wal-Marts in the area.  Linda asked Carol what animals ate all these doughnuts and she was told that the monkeys and bears got the doughnuts as part of their diet.  I observed lots of doughnuts in each enclosure two weekends in a row and that is when I became concerned with seeing soo many doughnuts, old white bread and dog food in each cage.  I asked Brandon Prill how often he put out these doughnuts and he told me every day for over two weeks.  I asked when was the last time the monkeys and Boris (only bear at Leslie Road) received fruits and vegetables and I was told about one year.  I was able to confirm this with Mary and Michelle (animal caretakers at Talley Road), and Norma (Leslie Road).  Mary and Michelle told me they purchased fruits and vegetables for the chimps out of their own pocket, but did not have enough money to purchase produce for the bears and hundreds of monkeys.
When I heard that the animals have not received fruits and/or vegetables for over one year, I went to the store and bought produce with my own money.  I cut up the produce and returned to Leslie Road to give the monkeys and Boris their first fruits and vegetables for the year.  I still have those receipts proving my purchase. 
"#8.  No Monkey chow to feed primates.
Not true.  Receipts are available.  All are getting an adequate diet.  None are unhealthy because of nutrition.  We have discussed pre-mixing dry fruit, cereal, monkey chow, dog food and nuts for feeding.  Fruits and veggies will be used as treats as opposed to regular diet.  We will try it and see how it works."
My response:  Carol did provide me the monkey chow reciepts.  After reviewing the receipts, it became clear very quickly that the monkey chow is only for the chimpanzees based the quantity ordered each month.  There is no way the amount purchased each each could feed all the primates and NON-HUMAN primates.  Mary and Michelle confirmed on 12/24/05 that the chimpanzees did receive monkey chow, but the non-human primates only received dog food.  Mary and Michelle asked if they could have a shipment of fruits and vegetables for the 15 or so bears and the chimpanzees, since they too, did not receive produce in about a year.  I told them they could have a shipment which I had in my garage.  That evening, the ladies took the shipment so the bears and chimpanzees could have a good Christimas.  Unfortunately, I did not have enough produce for the hundreds of monkeys living at Talley Road.   
I wish the WAO primates and non-human primates received the same produce Shirley feeds her animals.  I think the WAO animals would be much healthier and active with a healthy diet as opposed to all the dog food and white bread...k
October 22 - 23, 2006

I discovered on the Bexar County Clerk’s website that two IRS releases of liens against the Asvestas’ were posted on February 2006.  These two debts totaled approximately $46k.  I sent an email to IRS special agent Gomez.  He indicated, without looking into the file, the Asvestas’ probably paid off the liens.  He told me even if he checked the Asvestas’ files, he would not be able to confirm whether or not the liens were paid off or dismissed.  I went ahead and sent this information any way to the OAG so they can ask the IRS to look into this situation.

I spoke with Lynn Cuny today.  She is willing to go on camera and speak on the topic of primate care and diet!  She said she would also put me in contact with the PETA attorney handling the PPI case.

The USDA requested 2 (2004) WAO Magazines and a copy of the “Growing Up Lion” CD, so I prepared a package for the USDA.

October 24, 2006

I received photographs from the December 11, 2004 DA Office tour of the WAO, to include the Talley Road property.  I emailed the pictures to Dr. Gibbens at the USDA and copied the pictures onto a CD for Investigator Smith.

October 28, 2006

I sent the Texas Workforce Commission an open records question.

October 30, 2006

Sadly, Dawn and I are not speaking.  Dawn made a couple of insensitive comments to me – (1) I am not doing enough to save the WAO monkeys right before the impending cold weather and (2) “if it wasn’t’ for her” the case would not be going anywhere!!  Okay, that did it for me – she’s not a team player.

Dawn doesn’t understand that I’m trying to save all the WAO animals – not just the primates.  This case is so frustrating sometimes!

October 31, 2006

I spoke with Melissa Story at TCEQ.  She said the WAO attorney responded to the NOV by requesting an extension for the production of the dead animal roster.  The attorney asked Melissa if it was okay to dig up the dead animal bodies and move them to a legal dump.  She told him it was okay to dig up the bodies.  Interesting.  No dead animal roster.  I’m willing to bet the bodies will be moved first and then the roster will be produced – if the TCEQ even receives a roster at all!  I seriously doubt there will ever be a full disclosure as to how many animals died at the WAO.

I sent Maritza 19 pages of past board meeting minutes so she would have them available when she interviews the WAO’s attorney.  I learned Carol refuses to go on camera – she will only speak through her attorney.  Maritza told me to expect a surprise in the news story.

I sent an email to the Adult Probation Department regarding the WAO animal burial pits:

From: Kristina Brunner
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 8:30 PM
To: Esquivel, Leticia
Subject: Adult Probationers Used at the WAO's Talley Road Facility

Greetings Letty!

Could you please pass this information to Carol Christian?  I spoke with her on the phone this afternoon and she asked that I forward this information to her.

Dear Ms. Christian:

Today I spoke with Ms. Melissa Story from the Texas Commission of Environmental Quality concerning the two animal pits at the Talley Road facility.  She told me the WAO's attorney asked if it was okay to dig up the dead animals at Talley Road and transport them to a legal dump.  Ms. Story told the WAO attorney that it was okay to relocate the dead animals to the legal dump site.  TQEC requested a list of the dead animals buried at the site, but so far has not received this list and I am concerned the dead animals will be removed, dumped and then the WAO will file their dead animal report.

I was told by the animal caretakers that dead animals were buried at this facility for many years (tigers, bears, lions, wolves, chimps, monkeys of all kinds, domestic cats and dogs) -- for at least six years. This includes macaques (non-human primates).  According to the WAO website:

All macaques should be presumed to be shedding B-virus and should be handled accordingly. All macaques should be presumed to be shedding B-virus and should be handled accordingly.

When I heard the WAO planned to dig up the dead animal bodies, I became concerned because I know the WAO uses Adult Probationers to do the all the physical labor jobs. 

Since the WAO did not disclose to the Adult Probationers and Juvenile Probationers that worked around the Hurricane Katrina/Rita cats last year that the animals had a highly contagious and deadly virus that could spread to their own pets at home, I thought Adult Probation needed to know the risks of working around the dead animals buried at Talley Road. 

Please feel free to contact me at 647-1789 if you have any questions.  Thank you.

Very Respectfully,

Kristina Brunner


Later:

Dawn emailed me, requesting a telephone conversation.  I told her I would be free on Friday—just not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment